This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full content.
Unformatted text preview: ocially constructed
- Maps reflect the power of the
people that draw them.
• • • Cartographer = map maker,
can tell stories, obscure all
Ex: in the pic is a lie map,
Antarctica is not part of
Read maps with a critical
eye: who made it & what are
they trying to say.
Geographic Tools: The Map – Sept 17, 2013 Human Geographies: Society & Culture Telling Lies via Maps
• • Lies, Damn Lies and Statistics
How to Lie With Maps (M. Monmonier, 1996)
- With a map a cartographer can tell all lies.
- Small scale maps, lines, area features - White lies vs. Big lies - Critical eye • •
• Lines: simplify what is actually happening, ex: roads don’t
show every single corner
A map is a simplified version of the world.
Geographic Tools: The Map – Sept 17, 2013 Human Geographies: Society & Culture Social & Cultural History of Maps & Mapping
• • Solving Spatial Problems: e.g. pictographs (cave
- Cave used to show where the most fertile hunting
ground is. Depiction of hunting grounds to show the
location. Geographic Tools: The Map – Sept 17...
View Full Document
This note was uploaded on 01/26/2014 for the course GEOG 1HA3 taught by Professor Peace during the Fall '08 term at McMaster University.
- Fall '08