Unformatted text preview: Execution Plans
FROM Purchase P, Person Q
WHERE P.buyer=Q.name AND
Q.phone > ‘5430000’ Query Plan:
• logical tree
• implementation choice at every node
• scheduling of operations. buyer σ City=‘urbana’ phone>’5430000’ Buyer=name Purchase (Table scan) (Simple Nested Loops) Person (Index scan) Some operators are from relational
algebra, and others (e.g., scan, group) are not.
6 Through query optimization, we can generate a tree as shown. The iterator model is a model that we can use to help the query optimizing process. The iterator model means that you as a programmer will follow 3 functions: Open, GetNext, and Close. How do We Combine Operations?
The iterator model.
• Each operation is implemented by 3 functions:
• Open: sets up the data structures and performs initializations
• GetNext: returns the the next tuple of the result.
• Close: ends the operations. Cleans up the data structures. • Enables pipelining! 7 The iterator model also enables pipelining. This is simply the process line of different stages where every stage (such as selection, join, etc) is a busy process in some tuple. This means that if we have a multi- core processor, then we are using all cores such that there is no waste in resources. Sellinger: The director of the IBM computer science division. Worked on the system R project and worked on the concept of cost based optimization for queries. Cost Parameters
• Cost parameters • M = number of blocks that fit in main memory
• B(R) = number of blocks holding R
• T(R) = number of tuples in R
• V(R,a) = number of...
View Full Document
- Fall '08
- Sort, Relational model, hash function, relation