This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full content.
Unformatted text preview: wo surfaces Find the capacitance for a parallel plate capacitor:
○ ● Find the capacitance for a spherical shell capacitor:
○ ● Adding capacitors in parallel: Energy stored in a Capacitor
○ ● Adding capacitors in series: Capacitors in Parallel
○ ● C= Capacitors in Series
○ ● C= U= Dielectrics
○ How do dielectrics affect electric field? PHYS 152 Fall 2013
Supplemental Instruction Matt Lui and Anjali Shah [email protected] Problem 1
Consider 4 charges of mass m are glued to the four corners of a square of side L. The two
charges on the left side of the square have a charge of +q. The other two charges have a charge
1. Calculate the x and y components of the total electric force on the bottom left charge. 2. Write an expression for the total potential energy U that was needed to assemble the
above system of four charges. Problem 2
A ring with charge per unit length λ and radius R is situated in the xy plane.
a) What is the electric field at a point P along the axis of the ring, a distance z above the center? b) What is the electric potential due to the ring? PHYS 152 Fall 2013
Supplemental Instruction Matt Lui and Anjali Shah [email protected] c) What is the electric potential for a point P where z>>R? d) Now imagine that two point charges, +q and q, are placed at locations y = a and y = a, such
that a < R. What is the new net electric field due to this charge array? (Hint: Use superposition) Problem 3
A total charge Q is distributed evenly through a sphere of radius a, with a charge density of α .
That sphere is then surrounded by an additional shell of charge with total charge q, charge
density β , inner radius b, and outer radius c.
a) Find expressions for α and β. b) Compute the Electric Field for r>...
View Full Document
This note was uploaded on 01/28/2014 for the course PHYS 152 taught by Professor Judge during the Fall '09 term at USC.
- Fall '09