Unformatted text preview: netic parameters
are measured, there is more discrepancy in the findings, and if isometric parameters are assessed it
seems that there is little benefit from Cr supplementation.
It also appears that both men and women can
benefit from Cr, as well as both young and old
participants, although some conflicting evidence
with regard to age exists in the published literature.
Training status may impact Cr uptake during a loading phase, in that highly trained individuals may not
require a loading period since intramuscular levels
may already be elevated. Finally, it should be
remembered that there are both responders and nonresponders in all groups and that this can impact the
potential ergogenic effects of Cr.
No sources of funding were used to assist in the preparation of this review. The authors have no conflicts of interest
that are directly relevant to the content of this review. 2005 Adis Data Information BV. All rights reserved. References
1. Grindstaff PD, Kreider R, Bishop R, et al. Effects of oral
creatine supplementation on repetitive spring performance and
body composition in competitive swimmers. Int J Sport Nutr
1997; 7: 330-46
2. Berman S, Venembre P, Sachet C, et al. Effects of creatine
monohydrate ingestion in sedentary and weight-trained older
adults. Acta Physiol Scand 1998; 164: 147-55
3. Rawson ES, Clarkson PM. Acute creatine supplementation in
older men. Int J Sports Med 1999; 21: 71-5
4. Rawson ES, Wehnert ML, Clarkson PM. Effects of 30 days of
creatine ingestion in older men. Eur J Appl Physiol 1999; 80:
5. Smith SA, Montain SJ, Matott RP, et al. Creatine supplementation and age influence on muscle metabolism during exercise. J
Appl Physiol 1998; 85: 1349-56
6. Unnithan BV, Veehof SHE, Vella CA, et al. Is there a physiologic basis for creatine use in children and adolescents? J
Strength Cond Res 2002; 15 (4): 524-8
7. Demant TW, Rhodes FC. Effects of creatine supplementation on
exercise performance. Sports Med 1999; 28 (1): 46-60
8. Terjung RL, Clarkson...
View Full Document