This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full content.
Unformatted text preview: nowledge management (data and document management,
5 2.1 Design-Bid-Build Delivery System
• The most commonly used project delivery system in nowadays
• Plans and specifications are prepared by the design professional
and become part of the bidding documents. A single contractor is
then selected by the owner (client) to perform the work.
Contractor Sub Collaboration
relationship only Sub workers Sub/sub
Suppliers Sub workers Equipment
…… 6 2.1 Design-Bid-Build Delivery System 7 DBB Process
Bid package preparation Receipt of proposals Contractor
selection Bidding Process
8 2.2 Design-Build Delivery System
• Design and construction
activity are contractually
• DB contractor can be
referred to as a design
builder, or an EPC
(Engineer, Procure and
Construct) contractor. 9 • Owner has contractual relationship with only a single entity for
providing the entire project. However, portions or all of the design
and construction may be performed by the entity or subcontracted
to other companies.
• Integrated single point of _________________ for design,
construction, and project management.
• Sometimes, contractors with limited in-house design capability
partner or subcontract with design firms to bid for design-build
contracts. ( _________________ DB)
• Design firms may also partner or subcontract with contractors to
bid for design-build contracts. (Designer-led DB)
• Disputes between the design team and the construction force are
• ______________________________ can be done concurrently.
• Coordination between design and construction is also enhanced:
low life cycle cost, efficient construction process, constructability/
maintainability. 10 11 2.2 Design-Build Delivery System
1. Turnkey: The contractor provides a complete package of land,
design, financing, and con...
View Full Document
This document was uploaded on 01/28/2014.
- Fall '14