Unformatted text preview: separate contracts
needs someone to coordinate with various contractors
– Less clear lines of responsibility and accountability under
(e.g. work delay, defective work
claims to be resolved by the
owner/ design professional)
17 Cost Savings due to Competitive Bidding of Multiple
Work Packages 18 2.4 Construction Management Delivery System 19 2.4 Construction Management Delivery System
• In CM, the builder who is paid a fee becomes an advisor to owner.
• In CM, the construction entity is placed in an agency relationship
with the owner for preconstruction services (costs, schedules,
value engineering), followed by construction execution in one of
several fashions, as designated by the types of contractual
1. Agency Construction Management (CMa) (Agency CM)
2. Construction Management At-Risk (CM at-risk)
3. Design / Construction Management
4. Etc. 20 2.4.1 Agency Construction Management (CMa)
• The construction manager is retained in an agency relationship
throughout the project and administers a single or multiple trade
contractors who have prime contracts directly with the owner.
• The agency construction manager provides a single point of
___________________________________. Coordination relationship 21 • Construction Manager (CM) is hired during the design phase,
allowing it to work directly with A/E and avoid any potential design
issues before completion of construction documents.
• CM acts as a construction coordinator and assists in obtaining bids
and managing the construction. CM coordinates the selection of
design and construction firms and supervises and controls the predesign, design, pre-construction, and construction activities related
to the project on behalf of the owner.
• The CM firm’s position links owner, contractor, and A/E.
• Although the CM works on behalf of the owner in managing and
coordinating all aspects of the project, all contracts between design
and construction firms are signed by the owner.
• Contracts involving co...
View Full Document
- Fall '14