This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full content.
Unformatted text preview: ull Systems and Kanban
• Japanese words of “communication cards”, “signboard”, or
• Kanban is a concept related to lean and just-in-time (JIT)
production. Kanban is one means through which JIT is achieved.
• Each card is attached to a palette of goods. Production cannot
start until production ordering kanbans are available.
• Kanban tells you what to produce, when to produce it, and how
much to produce.
• To visualize the workflow, and manage (monitor, measure, and
• To prevent WIP inventories from building up when there is problem
• To make process policies explicit 28 Just-In-Time (JIT) Approach
• To produce and transport:
– Just what and how much are needed
– Just when it is needed
– Within the shortest possible lead time
1. Batches of size 1
2. Zero inventory (safety stock is a bad thing)
3. Zero defects (high productivity and quality)
• Any difficulty in achieving the above thr...
View Full Document
- Fall '14