This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full content.
Unformatted text preview: making. KSs are most
useful in situations where traditional algorithms have exponential
• KSs are used as stand alone systems and also in combination with
other components such as object oriented programs, databases.
• Knowledge systems have evolved within the context of successes
and failures with expert systems since the 1970s.
• KS ≠ Engineer:
– For important tasks, KSs cannot replace engineers. Their
usefulness depends on the abilities of engineers who use them.
– They can make good engineers perform better and vice versa
(bad engineers may become worse!).
– The engineer bears the legal responsibility for the decisions. KSs
are similar to books in that they can only guide the engineer.
8 1.3 Knowledge Systems for Decision Support
• Provides support for tasks with many possible solutions
• Helps users identify good solutions. More generally, a good KS
encourages user participation.
• Has an explicit representation of knowledge
• Provides greater separation between knowledge and control than
with traditional approaches 9 1.3 Knowledge Systems for Decision Support
View Full Document
- Fall '14