This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full content.
Unformatted text preview: ystem is suspect, Then water damage is
• R3:If the building is more than 40 years old, Then the
plumbing system is suspect.
Data: Building ‘D450’ is more than 40 years old and it has not
been renovated for 30 years.
Question: Is an on-site inspection necessary? Rules examined Rules fired New Goal 17 1.4.3 Example
– The number of combinations of buildings to visit in a given time
period is exponential in terms of the total number of buildings. Number of
combinations Total number of buildings
– Therefore, this is a good task for the application of knowledge
systems for decision support.
18 1.4.4 Forward or Backward Chaining?
• Both strategies often provide useful results for the same task.
• From the viewpoint of computational efficiency, forward chaining is
best when rule antecedents (the “if” part) are simpler than the rule
consequents (the “then” part). This is typically the case for control
tasks, process monitoring and some configuration activities.
• When rule...
View Full Document
- Fall '14