This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full content.
Unformatted text preview: protons in the atom’s nucleus
• Hydrogen: 1 proton & 1 electron 10-10 m
= 0.1 nm proton
“electron probability” 11 Carbon has 6 protons
Carbon Cloud of 6 electrons Nucleus:
6 or 7 neutrons
note: scale is wrong
(nucleus greatly exaggerated) 12 The physics of atoms and their nuclei is well understood
• The breakthroughs were made in the 1920’s – 1930’s
– Quantum Mechanics – discrete energy levels
– Relativity – things are different when you’re really zipping! • Evidence for depth of understanding is all around you
Nuclear power • Quantum Mechanics helps us understand the basic
properties of atoms, and explains the grouping in the
13 The Periodic Table On the left and right, elements have properties similar to those above and
below them in table. Those in middle are similar to their neighbors 14 What about the constituents of atoms?
• Separate an electron from the atom for study... Cloud of electrons nucleus 15 Electrons Appear to be Fundamental
• As far as we can tell, electrons have no ingredients
• The lack of substructure makes them useful probes
for other particles
– Fling them really hard a...
View Full Document
This note was uploaded on 01/31/2014 for the course BILD 3 taught by Professor Wills during the Winter '07 term at UCSD.
- Winter '07
- The Elegant Universe