This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full content.
Unformatted text preview: t nuclei to see if they “hit”
– Electron microscopes
– Particle accelerators 16 What about substructure in protons and neutrons?
• Can whack protons and neutrons with electrons
protons and neutrons with
and see what happens....
“Deep Inelastic Scattering” experiments indicate the
electrons occasionally strike hard nuggets in the proton
17 The Elementary Particles are “Related”
• Electric charge of electron and proton are equal
and opposite, to remarkable accuracy
• Neutron left alone for 15 minutes will “Betaleft
decay” into e, p , neutrino (very light, chargeless
proton Poof! electron neutron
18 But that’s not all!
• Antimatter : Each elementary particle has an
Electron – Positron
Proton – Antiproton
Neutron – Antineutron
etc. − anti-etc. • E=mc2 says matter and energy are interchangeable
• If they find one another – major fireworks! 19 Particle-Antiparticle Dating Service: Particle Colliders • Directing beams of particles and antipart...
View Full Document
- Winter '07
- The Elegant Universe