This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full content.
Unformatted text preview: The Onion Metaphor
•Measured in breath of
topics discussed and
depth of topics discussed
•We have expectations as
to what is and what is not
The degree to which you self-disclose controls the social
penetration described by the model 10 8/29/2012 The Johari Window
As previously discussed, the
Johari Window suggests that
some parts of our selves are open
to self-reflection and sharing, while
others remain hidden.
As we choose to disclose, the open
self becomes larger, and the
hidden self becomes smaller; when
we withhold disclosures we
achieved the opposite result. How to effectively self-disclose
• Know your audience
- If you are unsure about how they will take it,
• Don't force others to disclose, if they don't reciprocate,
don't disclose much deeper.
• Go slowly. 11 8/29/2012 How to effectively self-disclose
• Be sensitive to cultural difference.
• Be honest.
• Be consistent with your verbal and non-verbal
communication. How to effectively self-disclose
• Be sure your content is relevant.
• Be sure your topic is relevant.
• Be sure the amount and type of disclosures are appropriate.
• Estimate the effects of the disclosure on your relationship. 12...
View Full Document
- Spring '08