Unformatted text preview: so they have eight electrons in their outermost shells. 5 CONCEPT 2.2 ATOMS INTERACT AND FORM MOLECULES
• Chemical bond is an attractive force that links atoms together to form molecules.
• There are several kinds of chemical bonds. TABLE 2.1 CHEMICAL BONDS AND INTERACTIONS “Ionic bond” 6 IONIC BONDS
• Ions are charged particle that form when an atom gains or loses one or more electrons.
Cations—positively charged ions
Anions—negatively charged ions
• Ionic bonds result from the electrical attraction between ions with opposite charges. • The resulting molecules are called salts. FIGURE 2.2 IONIC BOND BETWEEN SODIUM AND CHLORINE 2, 8, 1 2, 8, 7 7 CONCEPT 2.2 ATOMS INTERACT AND FORM MOLECULES
• Ionic attractions are weak, so salts dissolve easily in water. COVALENT BONDS
• Covalent bonds form when two atoms share pairs of electrons.
• The atoms attain stability by having full outer shells.
• Each atom contributes one member of the electron pair. 8 CONCEPT 2.2 ATOMS INTERACT AND FORM...
View Full Document
This note was uploaded on 01/31/2014 for the course BSC 2010 taught by Professor Bowes during the Winter '08 term at University of Florida.
- Winter '08