This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full content.
Unformatted text preview: al organization of sentences - Syntax
3. Internal organization of words - Morphology
4. Sounds to make syllables & words - Phonology
5. Use of language - Semantics Need to learn the rules to function
“The ball not is red.” “I am boreds.” Theories of Language
Humans are wired for language from birth
LAD (Language Acquisition Device)
Humans only develop language in rich
linguistic Integrated model: genetic and social dynamics Normal Language Acquisition
Development of cognition & communication
occurs along a continuum
Milestones attained in unique sequence of
events specific to readiness to achieve.
Range of what is considered normal Birth to 12 months
– Babbles; imitates speech sounds
Uses speech/crying to get attention
1-2 real words
– Plays peek-a-boo/pat-a-cake
Recognize words for common items
Responds to simple requests 12 – 24 months
– Says more words every mon...
View Full Document
This note was uploaded on 02/01/2014 for the course CDIS 1150 taught by Professor Leanddaniels during the Fall '08 term at UConn.
- Fall '08