Unformatted text preview: ar competitive business strategies. This view says there is not ‘one best way’ of designing HR…it depends on the strategy. Basic Approaches to HR Strategy
Basic Approaches to HR Strategy
• Both Universalistic and Contingency approaches are valid and actually not contradictory.
• It seems that some HR practices are well suited to all organizations while other practices depend upon the organization’s strategy.
• The two approaches have different areas of interest: The universalistic approach tends to focus on broad principles; the contingency approach on specific practices.
• In this way, the two approaches are in fact complimentary The Universalistic Approach
The Universalistic Approach
• The Universalistic Approach says that for HR practices to be effective they must be bundled together – put into groups. They will not be effective if used in isolation.
• Practices that relate to each other and reinforce each other are grouped together.
• There are 2 human resource bundles. One bundle is based on a control strategy. The focus of this bundle is standardization and efficiency.
• The second bundle is based on a commitment strategy The focus of this bundle is to empower workers and build a strong sense of loyalty and commitment The Universalistic Approach
View Full Document
- Fall '13