This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full content.
Unformatted text preview: n a specific segment within a particular market rather than compete generally across a market
• The FOCUS can be either on the product / service (see below) or on the customer (next slide)
• Battery Plus – a store that only sells batteries
• Knife World – a store that sells every kind of knife you can want…but nothing else
• Executive Hire – a recruitment company that only places senior executives Focus – on the customer
Focus – on the customer
• Selling only environmentally friendly products
Producing only organically grown vegetables
Manufacturing clothes only for very large people Basic Approaches to HR Strategy
Basic Approaches to HR Strategy
• There are two basic approaches to HR strategy which inform 4 strategies.
• The two basic approaches are the Universalistic Approach – tries to identify a set of HR practices that are beneficial to all organizations. The goal is to find the ‘one best way’ of managing HR.
• The second is the Contingency Approach – this seeks to match HR practices with particul...
View Full Document
- Fall '13