Unformatted text preview: nces is much harder than we often like to think
• Judging the outcome does not tell us about the effort, care, attitude contributed to the finished job Can performance be bought?
Can performance be bought?
Performance ladder theory:
Pay = performance Desired but unrealistic
R ing t
N ala me
$ sc st
in True value of money Top performance for a
$ Return on
investment Moderate performance What Motivates Performance?
What Motivates Performance?
• Sense of purpose
To be stimulated
To be challenged
To develop and learn
To do good work EXTRINSIC Salary
To buy things
To invest for retirement
Job title / power
Complete programs Components of Performance
Components of Performance Enabling Employee Enabling Employee Performance
Commitment Challenge areas
Strategic 1. supportive business strategies,
2. top management values / ethics commitment,
3. effective voice for HR strategy in corporate gov. Functional 1. staffing is adequate,
2. good investment in learning and development,
3. contingent pay reinforces cooperation,
participation and contribution Workplace 1. broad task design
View Full Document