This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full content.
Unformatted text preview: the most ADP subunits A ct in drugs:
* cytochalasins: bind barbed/plus ends, inhibits polymer ization
* latrunculin: binds monomers and inhibits polymer ization, will induce depolymerization
* phalloidin/jasplakinolide: bind and stabilize filaments. phalloidin can be labeled with fluor escent
dyes, making it useful for staining actin filaments in cells [lowers crit concentration of any given
jas. is cell per meable and can be used on live cells Ov erv iew of funct ional classes of act in binding prot eins
1. Monomer binding/sequestration pr oteins: beta thymosin (shifts equilibrium to depolymerization - little blue thing sticks onto the r ed and allows it to depolymerize)
2. profilin: promotes nucleotide exchange on G-actin, directs preferntial subunit addition onto plus
end of growing actin filament capping proteins: either bind to plus or minus end
3. plus/bar bed end capping proteins: pr event both subunit loss and addition at plus end and r aise
the critical concentration to that of the minus end
* many plus end cappers...
View Full Document
This note was uploaded on 02/05/2014 for the course BIO 102 taught by Professor Chandhoke during the Fall '13 term at Yale.
- Fall '13