Unformatted text preview: of epithelial
cells. APICAL end is AWAY
from basement membrane.
Other 2 sides are LATERAL. General functions of epithelia:
• Form barriers within organs and for some body
• Absorb material from one region or compartment to
another, e.g., substances in the gut or compounds to
be excreted in urine
• Form tubes for transport of material to specific regions
• Secrete material directionally into tubes (ducts) or
another specific compartment
• Line cavities of many types
• Protect against possible damage from friction,
infection, dehydration, etc.
Divide organs into diff compartments!!!! Absorb material….material can be selectively absorbed from one region to another.
ex: BLOOD VESSELS, DUCTS. Stomach, etc. MAJOR EXAMPLE: SKIN!!!!!!
Epidermis of our skin is a SUPER THICK layer of epithelia!!!!
Protects us from temperature, environment, against dehydration,
from microbes, etc. basal side Major functions of basement membranes:
attach epithelia cells to underlying looser CONNECTIVE tissue. 1) Attach epithelial cells to underlying
2) “Localize” the growth of epithelial cells
View Full Document
- Spring '14
- Epithelial cells, Epithelia, basement membrane