This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full content.
Unformatted text preview: vulation
– stops more follicles from maturing. • C,D Early on, estrogen from a maturing follicle
– calls for repair and rebuilding of the endometrium. • After ovulation
– the corpus luteum secretes some estrogen and more
• primes the uterus for pregnancy. The Ovarian and Menstrual Cycles Starr, 2008 Week 4
Weeks 5-6 Starr, 2008 Week 8 Week 16 Starr, 2008 Child birth Starr, 2008 Artificial Reproductive Technology (ART)
•methods used to achieve pregnancy by artificial or
partially artificial means
•Used primarily by couples with infertility issues
or with genetic conditions
•Also used by people with communicable
diseases such as AIDS to reduce risk of infection
of partner Artificial Reproductive Technology (ART)
1. In vitro fertilization (IVF)
• Means fertilization outside of the body
Often used when a woman's Fallopian tubes are blocked or
when a man produces too few sperm
The woman is treated with a drug that causes the ovaries
to produce multiple eggs
Mature eggs are re...
View Full Document
This note was uploaded on 02/05/2014 for the course MATH 17 taught by Professor Aaronjamesporlante during the Spring '11 term at University of the Philippines Diliman.
- Spring '11