This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full content.
Unformatted text preview: increase in
the magnitude or frequency of the response.
• This often involves highly relevant or
dangerous stimuli. Associative learning
• Classical conditioning or Pavlovian
– unconditional stimulus - response
– conditional stimulus - unconditional stimulusresponse
– conditional stimulus - response What is an example from nature? Associative learning
• Instrument learning, operant conditioning,
trial and error learning
– an action (operant) produces a consequence
– Reinforcer can be positive or negative Case Study
• Dialects in Bird Song White-Crowned
Sparrows (Marler) Isolate songs
• Detailed song in NOT innate
• Have some repeatable characteristics
• Innate components of song structure Stages of sound production
• Chicks - Begging and distress calls
• First Spring or Fa...
View Full Document
- Fall '08