This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full content.
Unformatted text preview: ll - Subsong, plastic,
sensorimotor = “practice”
• Primary or “crystallized” song Taped Tutors!
When do they learn?
• 1-10 days = pre-critical period
• 10-50 days = CRITICAL PERIOD
• 50+ days = post critical period Will they learn any song? Social Learning
Cultural Transmission Imo the Macaque
• Imo began washing potatoes when she was
one year old (early 50s)
• By 1959 all infant Macaques were learning
to wash potatoes from their mothers.
• Later on Imo began to separate wheat seeds
from sand by throwing it in the water.
• This caught on too. What’s the Big Deal?
• Natural Selection
– slow • Cultural Transmission
– fast • Can Culture Lead Evolution? Types of Cultural Transmission
• Social Learning
• Teaching Teaching
• Displays behavior only in the presence of a
naive observer (usually young)
• Without obtaining immediate benefit to
• Provides benefit (or punishes...
View Full Document
This note was uploaded on 02/09/2014 for the course BIO 320 taught by Professor Ashley-ross,m during the Fall '08 term at Wake Forest.
- Fall '08