This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full content.
Unformatted text preview: dema • Other Uses
– Removing fluids from compartments
• Brain Increase glomerular filtration rate
• This is not a main mechanism of action
for major diuretics.
– effect occurs with drugs administered for
another reason. • Examples: Xanthines
– Also have minor effect on decreased NaCl
• Theophylline was formerly used as a diuretic. Inhibit Ion Reabsorption:
• All Major diuretics work in this manner.
• Direct or indirect inhibition of:
– Cl– HCO3- • All result in decreased Na+ reabsorption What regulates fluid
intracellular and extracellular
compartments? Metabolism and the Sodium Pump! Proximal tubule
Inhibits reabsorption of HCO3• Examples:
– carbonic anhydrase inhibitors and thiazides (both of
View Full Document
- Spring '14