Unformatted text preview: s ((Imipenem, Meropenem)
Carbipenems Imipenem, Meropenem
• Also has a beta lactam ring
– Resistant to penicillinase
– Used with cilastin which inhibits renal secretion • Similar to penicillins in:
• Inhibits crosslinking of cell wall components – Spectrum (wider):
• Most gram positive and negatives including penicillinase
• Includes Pseudomonas aeruginosa – Side Effects:
• Caution renal failure, reduce dose Monobactams ((aztreonam Azactam®)
Monobactams aztreonam Azactam®)
• Mechanism of action similar to penicillins.
• Unique antibacterial spectrum.
– Less effective against gram positive organisms
– Very effective against troublesome gram negative
organisms. • Other Features:
– Similar in usefulness to aminoglycosides.
– Little or no cross-allergenicity to penicillins and
bacitracin) • Inhibit cell wall synthesis but do not have
a beta-lactam structure.
• Major toxicity limits systemic use except
in resistant hospital based infections.
– Vancomycin may be drug of choice for some
types of colitis because it does not absorb
well and remains in the intestine....
View Full Document
This document was uploaded on 02/07/2014.
- Spring '14