Unformatted text preview: ectrum highly desirable
rapid onset and sustained activity desirable
lipid solubility for penetration of epidermis • Presence of foreign matter - blood, pus, cell debris
• Nature of organism
– Capsule or spore
– Are open wounds infective • Social attitude
– Acceptance of treatment
– Preventing reinfection or family infection Topicals: On Skin
– Chlorhexidine or hexachlorophene last much longer
• 26% of chlorhexidine remains active on skin 29 hrs – Povidone-iodine (Betadine®) lasts as long as Iodine
• persists several hours • Bacterial Activity
– 1% iodine tincture and chlorhexidine reduce bacterial population
much more effectively than 10 % povidone-iodine.
– However, if gram-negative bacteria on hands then:
• 1% tincture of iodine best
• then povidone-iodine
• then chlorhexidine
– 84% of hospital strains of Pseudomonas aeruginosa have some resistance Topicals: On Instruments
• Heat sterilization where possible
• Gas sterilization - Ethylene oxide
• Very effective - broad spectru...
View Full Document
This document was uploaded on 02/07/2014.
- Spring '14