This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full content.
Unformatted text preview: ,
are carried to site of infection, and inhibit proinflammatory cytokines.
Especially useful in respiratory infections including cystic fibrosis. s: minocycline.
• Broad spectrum
– Effective against Rickettsiae, Mycoplasma, Chlamydia,
Amoebae, and many gram positive and gram negative
bacteria. Not fungi, though. • Bacteriostatic (Blocks protein synthesis)
• Other Issues
– May permanently discolor children's teeth if used from
fourth month of fetal life though eighth year of
– Photosensitivity (use sunscreen).
– Superinfection a problem with chronic therapy (acne).
– Need food in stomach but not milk or antacids.
– May decrease effectiveness of oral contraceptives. Lincosamides
– Clindamycin (Cleocin T®) • Bacteriostatic – inhibits protein synthesis
• Used in penicillin allergic patients after less
toxic alternatives have failed. • Broad spectrum
– Is drug of choice in some cases:...
View Full Document
- Spring '14