This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full content.
Unformatted text preview: ctamase Inhibitors
Beta-Lactamase Ways to “Rejuvenate”Penicillins
Ways “Rejuvenate”Penicillins • Clavulanic acid – Beta lactamase inhibitor is being used against penicillinase
producing Staph., H. influenzae, & E. coli.
– Currently marketed in combination with amoxicillin
(Augmentin®) and ticarcillin (Timentin®). • Sulbactam
– Another beta lactamase inhibitor that is being used with
ampicillin (Unasyn®). • Tazobactam
– Another “rejuvenator” used with piperacillin (Zosyn) • Probenecid –
– An antigout medication that inhibits renal tubular secretion of
many agents including penicillins and cephalosporins.
– Increase the half-life of these drugs in the body and, therefore,
reduce the frequency of administration. 4 Beta-Lactam Antibiotic Families
Beta-Lactam Antibiotic Cephalosporins
• Similar to penicillins in:
– Structure, mechanism, and spectrum
– Somewhat less active against most gram positive organisms so
penicillin still first choice in most cases.
– May be first choice for:
• Serious Klebsiella infections (either with or without aminoglycosides)
• Prophylaxis before, during, and after surgery
• Meningitis caused by gram negative enteric bacteria. • Advantage - resistant to penicillinase
– probably allergic cross-sensitivity exists with penicillins
– must use with sensitivity tests - only effective sometimes 4 Beta-Lactam Antibiotic Families
Beta-Lactam Antibiotic Carbipenem...
View Full Document
This document was uploaded on 02/07/2014.
- Spring '14