Unformatted text preview: , efficacy 97-98%
– some women still ovulate but the ovum is not
implanted (change in endometrial lining)
– many women abandon this pill
• more breakthrough bleeding occurs – chief advantage - nursing mothers
• no estrogen to inhibit milk production.
Caution: Contraceptive effects are decreased when taken with several antibiotics
(ampicillin, penicillin V, , sulfonamindes, isoniazid, rifampin, neomycin)
or CNS agents (barbiturates, benzodiazepines, phenytoin). Pill may actually protect user
against following conditions:
• Some cancers
– ovarian and some uterine cancers • Pelvic inflammatory disease
– 1/2 to 1/3 the rate of nonusers • Toxic shock syndrome
– 1/4 the risk of nonusers • Rheumatoid arthritis Deaths from contraception
• Number has been declining.
• High point was 1975 with 472 deaths.
– In comparison, there were 527 pregnancy and
childbirth related deaths that year. Birth Control Pills:
• “Morning-after” contraceptives
– A poor name since these agents are effective
contraceptives up to 72 hours after
intercourse. • California has a trial program:
– selected pharmacies to dispense without a
– individuals participate in a short education
program. “Morning-after” contraceptives
– four tablets of 50ug ethinyl estradiol + 0.25 mg levonorgestrel • P la n B ®
– two tablets of 0.75 mg levonorges...
View Full Document
This document was uploaded on 02/07/2014.
- Spring '14