This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full content.
Unformatted text preview: ion that has already occurred.
– Besides preventing action of histamine, acts as mild sedative so
more able to ignore distressing symptoms. • Motion sickness
– Not very effective at controlling nausea of other origins.
- meclizine (Antivert®)
– appear to depress CNS and decrease sensitivity of inner ear. Side Effects: H1 Antagonists
Chemical similarity to some antipsychotics and to atropine
antipsychotics and • Antipsychotic-like: drowsiness, sedation,
– In others may cause agitation and hallucinations.
– Higher therapeutic doses are usually sedating. • Antimuscarinic (atropine-like): dryness of
mouth, blurred vision Cautions : H1 Antagonists
• Potentiate other sedative-hypnotics, tranquilizers,
• Avoid use in asthmatics (drying of bronchiole
– Asthma prophylactic cromolyn prevents the release of
histamine by blocking degranulation of mast cells.
– A similar agent lodoxamide is marketed i...
View Full Document
This document was uploaded on 02/07/2014.
- Spring '14