Unformatted text preview: hat of
the other gender. Sexual Development & Differentiation Chronology of Sexual Differentiation Cartoon What Determines Gender?
• External Genitalia
An interaction of these
How can we figure it out?
– RCT-randomly assign genetic XXs & XYx to be
reared as either boys or girls and see how they
come out • Video + Hermaphrodites Speak John Money’s Principles of Gender Development
• Individuals are psychosexually (“genderally”)
neutral at birth.
• Healthy psychosexual development is dependent
upon the appearance of one’s genitals.
• No doubt should be allowed as to gender/sex of
• Do not change gender/sex after 2 years of age. What Typically Happened to Hermaphrodites/
Intersex/Disorders of Sexual Development Until 2000
• Immediately after birth-team of spets
• Parents informed that pre-natal development not done
• Need to determine correct sex/gender
• Genetic males- XYs- if have adequate penis (magic #
= 1 inch) then assigned to male gender-if not 1 inch
typically assigned to female (surgery)
• Genetic females-XXs- typically declared gi...
View Full Document
- Fall '11
- Intersexuality, Sex organ, Middlesex, Alpha Reductase Deficiency