This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full content.
Unformatted text preview: correction due to the room temperature vs. 0o where the pressure conversion is defined. NOTE: The table has listings for each degree. You can interpolate to get values for the nearest tenth of a degree. 15 16 Clicker question Using n=PV/RT to determine n
• You know P from the barometer.
• You know V from the volume filled by the water.
• You need to determine the temperature. What temperature do you use in the ideal gas equation to solve for n? PV = nRT is only valid for gases. Therefore, you need to use the value of T for when the unknown was a gas to find the number of moles of the gas. 17 A) 0oC
B) room temperature
C) 100.0oC 18 3 10/6/2010 Clean up and chemical disposal Molar mass
• You determined the mass of the unknown in your tube directly from the experiment.
• You determined the number of moles of the vapor using the ideal gas equation.
• You can determine the molar mass of the unknown from these two quantities. molar mass =...
View Full Document
- Fall '06