This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full content.
Unformatted text preview: WB
MEM: data page fault
EX: arithmetic exception
• Service MEM & restart
– EX exception will appear again later S. Ziavras Out-of-order Exceptions
• However, exceptions may occur out of order
• Earlier example: LD (data page fault). DADD (instr.
page fault now)
– Instr. page fault will occur before data page fault!
page fault will occur before data page fault!
– Since we assume precise exceptions, pipeline
must handle data page exception before instr.
page exception S. Ziavras Out-of-order Exceptions (2)
• Hardware posts all exceptions caused by a given
posts all exceptions caused by given
instr. in an exception status vector for this instr.
• If any bit in this vector is set, any control signal that
may write value in reg or the memory is turned off
may write a value in a reg. or the memory is turned off
• Upon reaching WB, exception status vector is
checked. If exceptions have been posted, they’re
handled in order corresponding to an unpipelined
procedure, forces in
• This procedure, forces in-order handling of
exceptions for a set of instrs.
• Difficult to implement for FP instrs.
S. Ziavras Instruction Set Complications
• No MIPS instr. has more than 1 result
• MIPS (integer) pipeline writes result in WB
• Committed instruction: guaranteed to complete (it
has not raised any exception or any exception has
has not raised any exception, or any exception has
been taken care of and the instruction is ready to
write its result)
• Because of above in MIPS: exceptions are precise
of above in MIPS: exceptions are precise S. Ziavras Instruction Set Complications (2)
• Processors exist that change state in middle of instr.
– Autoincrement addressing modes
View Full Document
This document was uploaded on 02/09/2014.
- Fall '09