This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full content.
Unformatted text preview: into RISC ones for better
performance Some material is adapted from D. Culler & D. Patterson (UCB) S. Ziavras VLIW (Very-Large Instruction Word)
• Different fields in opcode contain operation
information to be dispatched to different FUs
• Compilers must compact conventional code for
“short instruction word” computers
• Branch results must be predicted for highlyhi
compacted code (use statistics, heuristics, etc.)
• Determining the grouping of instructions for the
design of the instruction set is not easy
• No need for run-time resource scheduling and
synchronization (determined at compile time)
• Binary compatibility of object code is often
impossible because of different latencies &
incompatibility of FUs
Some material is adapted from D. Culler & D. Patterson (UCB) S. Ziavras Compiler Support for Multimedia Instrs.
• SIMD instrs. that operate simultaneously on several narrow
data items in a single clock cycle
– SIMD components can be vie...
View Full Document
This document was uploaded on 02/09/2014.
- Fall '09