This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full content.
Unformatted text preview: ity
48. Which of the following is NOT an argument made by Judith Butler?
A) Masculine and feminine genders were inevitable.
B) Gender cannot be thought of as having some essential basis.
C) There is no authentic femininity or masculinity rooted in male and female bodies.
D) Gender is what you do at particular times, rather than a universal “who you are”.
49. _________ is a term that describes a system of rewards based on personal attributes and
A) Socioeconomic status
D) Job deskilling
E) A and C.
Correct Answer(s):C 50. The following experiences are examples of a "chilly climate" EXCEPT for which statement?
A) Teachers call on male students often even when female students have their hands raised.
B) Teachers engage more with male students during classroom interactions.
C) The work of female faculty is devalued.
D) Violence against women is strictly punished.
51. According to functionalists, men fulfill a(n) ______ role while women are positioned as fulfilling a(n)
A) masculine; feminine
B) dominant; supportive
C) instrumental; expressive
D) hegemonic; emphasized
52. According to Freud, ______ is comprised of an individual’s biological drives and impulses. A) id
D) none of the above
53. Who was interested in how inequality is reproduced in culture and how aspects of culture contribute
to its reproduction?
A) Dorothy Smith
B) Pierre Bourdieu
C) Sandra Acker
D) Karl Marx
54. A young woman who grows up in a poor family, wins a scholarship to university, and becomes a
successful lawyer is an
example of which type of mobility?
Correct Answer(s):C 55. The universality of women's wage discrimination is known as the
A) double ghetto.
B) pink ghetto.
C) feminization of poverty.
D) femininity of poverty.
56. A person who was born female b...
View Full Document