Unformatted text preview: lingualism in Canada represents subordinate language minorities seeking opportunities of selfexpression and Attacks on bilingualism represent an ethnocentric point of view, which holds that any
deviation from the majority language is bad.
35. Sociologists are concerned with:
A) What people do as members of a group
B) What an individual does or does not do
C) How much a person spends on his/her shopping
D) What people do as members of a group and what an individual does or does not do
36. “Cultural egotism” refers to the belief that one’s own culture is better than all other cultures.
37. Secondary analysis occurs when researchers code written transcripts of interviews they have
conducted with research participants.
38. According to Sociologists, "culture is shared" and "culture is non-cumulative" are two of the
defining features of culture.
A) True B) False
39. "Verstehen" refers to understanding the meaning of an action from an objective, impartial,
“outsiders” point of view.
40. Canadian sociology developed prior to American sociology however has had less notoriety.
41. Why use mixed methods research?
A) It is the fastest way of doing research.
B) It gives researchers a fuller picture.
C) It allows the researcher to blend different ways of understanding.
D) B and C only.
E) All of the above.
42. Which of the following best explains the concept of “social facts”?
A) A state of normlessness that results from the lack of clear goals and ultimately results in higher
B) Early societies based on similarities and independence.
C) General features that exist on their own and are independent of individual manifestations.
D) A concept that highlights the totality of a society’s beliefs and sentiments....
View Full Document