This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full content.
Unformatted text preview: 8. The two mechanisms that aid the shift in social relations from local to global contexts are
A) Disembedding mechanism and expert system
B) Time-space distanciation and symbolic token
C) Monetary system and human resources
D) Symbolic token and expert system
19. According to Said, there are three kinds of Orientalism. These are:
A) Imaginative, Constitutional, Organizational
B) Academic, Organizational, Inventive
C) Institutional, Inventive, Constitutional
D) Academic, Imaginative, Institutional
20. According to the text, which Canadian is NOT an important early Canadian sociologist?:
A) Annie Marion MacLean
B) Harold Adams Innis
C) Pierre Trudeau
D) Kathleen Herman
E) John Porter
21. What is true about culture?
A) Culture is cumulative.
B) Culture is shared.
C) Culture is human.
D) All of the above.
E) A and B only.
Correct Answer(s):D 22. The argument that scientific knowledge cannot stand outside power relations distinguishes
_______ from _______.
A) Post-structuralism, Structuralism
B) Post-positivism, Positivism
C) Western Marxism, Marxism
D) Symbolic Interactionism, Functionalism
23. Using the sociological imagination, rising tuition costs would be best approached in terms of
A) private trouble.
B) a political problem.
C) a social issue.
D) economic reality.
24. In his classic study on obedience, Milgram set out to study the effects of
B) gender insensitivity.
D) the Protestant work ethic.
25. When Helleiner bought a trailer, settled into a Traveller "camp", and observed camp life for nine
months, she was engaging in what type of social research?
A) participant observation
B) secondary analysis
C) participatory action research
D) mixed methods
26. The systematic study of social behaviour and human groups is known as:
B) Political science
View Full Document