Unformatted text preview: be the transformation that occurred 5 −5 0 5x • write the coordinates of this graph’s vertex
• write the equation of this graph’s axis of symmetry −5 • write the domain and range of this function SUMMARY: To draw the graph of y = x2 + q When q > 0, (q is positive):
• The parabola translates (slides) upward
y or y − q = x2
When q < 0, (q is negative):
• The parabola translates (slides) downward
y vertex = vertex = axis of symmetry: axis of symmetry: x x domain =
• range = domain =
• range = "q takes the basic parabola and translates it vertically." exercise: The graph of the basic quadratic function is translated up 12 units. What would be the
equation of this transformed graph? exercise: Write the equation of a parabola with vertex (0,−23). Unit 1 – Day 4: Graphing y = x + q and y = (x−p)
2 2 Page 3 of 4 GRAPHING y = (x − p)2
example: For the function y = (x − 6)2 :
• Complete the table of values. x p=
● Use the table to draw the graph of this function.
y x − 6...
View Full Document