This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full content.
Unformatted text preview: ion?
• Are your socioeconomic backgrounds
• How do your values and tastes compare in
terms of religion, politics, music, art, and
types of people? CHOOSING A COMPATIBLE
• Do you like and respect yourself? Do you
and your would-be partner have high
levels of self-esteem?
• Are you both committed to growth? Are
you willing to expand your world, to learn
more about yourself, others, new ideas,
and new activities? CHOOSING A COMPATIBLE
• Do you and/or your would-be partner insist
on making the final decision or having the
last word? Can you collaborate?
• Are your energy levels comparable? Do
you like to laze around in the house while
the other person wants to be on the go
constantly? CHOOSING A COMPATIBLE
• Can the two of you communicate positive
and negative feelings? Can you really
listen to each other?
• Are you both comfortable with expressing
your feelings and thoughts? What do the
two of you really want and expect of a
relationship with each other? BEGIN SECOND TEST MATERIAL PARIS
THE SPRING BIRD
THE HAND ONCE
A LIFETIME SEXUAL WISDOM
• Sexual temptations abound in our culture.
• Images of sexually explicit scenes on
television, at the theater, and in
• Some of the Bible’s greatest spiritual
leaders like David and Solomon fell prey to
immorality, adultery, polygamy, etc. SEXUAL WISDOM
• If Solomon did so poorly in this area, why
should we listen to him?
• Two reasons:
– He spoke from great experience and knew of
the tragedy of unbridled sexual lust.
– He spoke by the wisdom and inspiration of
God. SEXUAL WISDOM
• The sexual revolution of the 1960’s promoted
sex as a cheap commodity.
• The terms “promiscuous” and “illegitimate”
regarding sex have basically disappeared.
• With widespread sanctions of sexual
permissiveness has come a new terminology –
“immoral” now “sexually active”; “homosexual”
now “gay; “adultery” now an “affair”;
“pornography” now “adult entertainment”. SEXUAL WISDOM
• Proverbs warns of the illegitimate use of sex with
a portrait of a naïve man’s encounter with an
• Scripture shows he lacked:
– Information or understanding of God’s law.
Thoughtful interaction with God’s word.
Willingness to be warned by its truth.
Judgment – he put himself near her corner (vs.7,8) SEXUAL WISDOM
• This young man had not counted on this
woman’s ability to appeal to his ego as
well as his senses:
– With passionate kisses v. 13.
– With flattering words v. 15.
– With a little spiritual lingo v. 14.
– With fantasy vs. 16-20. SEXUAL WISDOM
• Proverbs shows how difficult it is to
envision the consequences of our actions.
• Proverbs 5:3-5 – “For the lips of an
immoral woman drip honey, and her
mouth is smoother than oil; But in the end
she is bitter as wormwood, Sharp as a
two-edged sword. Her feet to down to
death, her steps lay old of hell.” SEXUAL WISDOM
• The consequences of immorality are
inevitable and unavoidable. It doesn’t
matter who one is – it is “pay day some
• We need to learn that anyone who tempts
us to have sex outside marriage will
stimulate our imagination, promise us
forbidden pleasures, appeal to our eyes,
meet our needs, understand our hurts. SEXUAL WISDOM
• The tempters offer secrecy and promise
• In the midst of temptation it is difficult to
see and understand the consequences – a
blindness sets in, and a dumb ignorance
leads to actions that would be unthinkable
at any other time. SEXUAL WISDOM
• Though physical death may not always be
the outcome, spiritual death always will be.
• A person involved in an adulterous
relationship will be drained in such a way
that the most important things (marriage
vows, parental responsibilities, moral
purity, etc.) will take a back seat to living
for the moment, maintaining emotional
intensity, and protecting reputations. SEXUAL WISDOM
• Our culture does not paint this picture, instead
we are urged to live for the passion of the
moment, to let out glands be our guide, and to
give no thought to the outcome.
• Scripture proves this wrong – Proverbs 6:27-29
– “Can a man take fire to his bosom, and his
clothes not be burned? Can one walk on hot
coals, and his feet not be seared? So is he who
goes in to his neighbor’s wife; whoever touches
her shall not be innocent.” SEXUAL WISDOM
• In Proverbs the temptress beckons,
“Come let us take our fill of love until
morning; let us delight ourselves with
• This however was deception – The wise
man goes on to warn, “He did not know it
would take his life”. SEXUAL WISDOM
• No matter how we try to...
View Full Document
This document was uploaded on 02/14/2014 for the course BIB 107 at Freed-Hardeman.
- Fall '14