St. Augustine’s School of Iba, Inc.Iba, ZambalesS.Y. 2019-2020History of SPCThe Foundation of the SPC Education MinistryLife of Fr. Louis Chauvet1stSistersFrench Revolution Submitted to:Sr. Hellen Baculio, SPCSubmitted by:JR Steve D. MeganoShannen Ayessa HilarioJustine TeruelMaria Esperanza RojoFrancine Verde
History of SPC (Sisters of St. Paul de Chartres)•The Congregation of the Sisters of St. Paul of Chartres is an institute of apostolic life inthe Church. Founded in 1696 in France by Father Louis Chauvet, parish priest of asmall village, Levesville-la-Chenard, they were called to Chartres by the Bishop, PaulGodet des Marais, given the name Sisters of St. Paul of Chartres, with St. Paul theApostle as their Patron and the Blessed Virgin Mary as their Model and Protectress.Dedicated to education, care of the sick and ministry among the underprivileged, theCongregation of more than 4000 sisters today serve in 32 countries in six continents ofthe world.•Seeing the poverty and suffering of the people in his parish, Fr Chauvet immediately setout to relieve their plight. He realized that he could not do it alone. It did not take himlong nor did he encounter difficulties in finding like-mined souls to start his mission. Twoyoung girls and a lady, generous, courageous, selfless were only too happy and eager togive their life to God in the service of their neighbors, especially for the poor and thedisadvantaged. •Marie Anne de Tilly, the young lady from a noble family assisted Fr Chauvet by teachingthe others to read and write, trained them to be future teachers. •Fr Chauvet gave the girls their religious formation. The Sisters had only one rule tofollow: The Charity of Christ. In 1708,•Fr Chauvet entrusted the budding community to the care of the Bishop of Chartres, •Bishop Paul Godet Des Marais, who became the ecclesiastical superior of the sisters andhe gave them the name of St Paul, the Apostles. Hence, the Sisters are known as the“Sisters of St Paul de Chartres”•From the early dates the Congregation responded to the missionary call and the Sisterswere challenged to their generosity, courage and missionary zeal. 1727 - four young Sisters set out to a 120 days journey to Cayenne, French Guiana, acolony in South America where prisoners and convicts were deported by theGovernment.A century later the second momentous missionary journey was launched in 1848toChina.In early 20th century, the Sisters expanded their mission to Europe, North America,Africa and Russia. 1984- the Sisters responded to the call to Australia. The Philippine Province is a hundred and ten years old this year. Invited to thePhilippines by Bishop Frederick Z. Rooker for the "protection of the faith" the Sisters ofSt. Paul of Chartres were the first of the European Congregations to come to the
Philippines at the onset of the American Regime. They arrived on 29 October 1904 inDumaguete, Negros Oriental. Instituto de San Pablo became the first of more than ahundred mission houses they would open in their first 100 years in the Philippines.