This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full content.
Unformatted text preview: ect on groups)
– Nonroutine (positive effect, generally) • Relationship – Personality clashes
– If relationship is established, then collaborative efforts work well. • Value – Most difficult to manage because they are the most developed/deep rooted perspectives. Culture and Conflict
Culture and Conflict
• Low context communication (individualist)
– Message/content orientation
Verbal communication is precise, literal, explicit.
Prefer competitive or compromise as conflict management style. • High context communication (collectivist) – Message/context orientation
– Indirect, “read between the lines,” implied meaning
– Favor avoidance and accommodating management styles. Negotiation Strategies
• Do unto others – reciprocate other parties’ actions
Reformed sinner – acts tough but relaxes demands
Positional bargaining – hard/soft negotiation
– People are separated from the problem
Interests are the focus, not positions
Options are key before decisions are made
Criteria are the objective set of standards used Anger...
View Full Document
This document was uploaded on 02/20/2014 for the course SPCM 232 at Colorado State.
- Fall '13