Unformatted text preview: lorify himself, so we should never judge someone else's poor health. Only the lord knows the origin and purpose of their problems.
1. Many Christians take their health for granted. It is God who gives us our health, and we need to
thank him for it every day.
2. Others believe that man's purpose is to glorify himself. We define this as humanism.
3. So summarize, health if important, but should not be the most important thing in your life. 4. Levels of Organization.
a. Five levels of organization you need to know.
i. Cell: Basic unit of structure and function of a living system.
ii. Tissue: Cells that are the are of same type are organized into tissues.
1. Connective tissue: this type of tissue connects, supports,
transports, and protects. Examples include bone, cartilage, and
2. Epithelial tissue: Specialized in absorbing, secretion, and
protection. Your mouth and intestine is made up of this type of
3. Muscular tissue: Specializes in movement, three types.
a. Skeletal muscle tissue
b. Cardiac muscle tissue
c. Smooth muscle tissue
4. Neural tissue: found in nervous system.
1. Circulatory system: Internal transportation system of the body.
1. Carries nutrients and other things necessary for cells.
2. Transports waste products away from cells.
3. The primary organs are the heart, blood vessels, and blood.
1. Heart pumps blood through the body.
2. Oxygen- poor blood comes into the right atrium, then does into the right
ventricle. From there, it goes to the lungs.
3. Becomes oxygen- rich
4. Enters left atrium, through the left ventricle, and into the systemic.
5. Blood vessels
1. Blood vessels carry blood
2. Three types
1. Carries both types of blood away from the heart.
1. Carries blood to the heart.
2. Has valves which stop the blood from traveling down.
3. Capillaries 1. Smallest blood vessel, one cell thick.
2. Connect arteries to veins.
1. Made up of four parts.
1. Part that is liquid.
2. Red blood cells
2. Job is to carry oxygen.
3. 250 thousand hemoglobin molecules in every cell.
4. Every hemoglobin molecule can hold four oxygen molecules.
3. White blood cells
1. 8 different types, called leucocytes.
2. Job is to fight infection.
1. Not cells!
2. Components that aids clotting.
1. Respiratory system
1. Main function is gas exchan...
View Full Document
- Winter '14