This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full content.
Unformatted text preview: to ethical
‣ IRB = Institutional Review Board = they check research proposals for ethical
◦ Design might lack random assignment and/or manipulation of independent
◦ True Experiment = must have manipulation of an IV and must be randomly
◦ The correlational method is a research method that examines the relationship
among or between variables as they occur naturally.
‣ Advantage is that a correlational study might be easier to implement in a
particular setting because we are not worrying about manipulation of an IV or
random assignment. (Aimed at analyzing RELATIONSHIPS between variables;
i.e.: cortizone shot vs. energy vs. the fact that ms. christie loves to teach which causes her to be passionate and have a lot of energy about the subject.)
• Statistics Showing Relationships: Correlation
◦ Does not show causation because of extraneous variables
◦ Correlation Coefﬁcient
‣ Sign = Direction
◦ variables change in the same direction
◦ variables change in opposite directions
• Number = Magnitude / Strength
◦ closer the coefﬁcient is to 1, the stronger the relationship * Sign tells you one story, numbers tell you something else ◦ Meta-analysis is a technique that allows results from several different research
studies to be combined and summarized
‣ i.e.: many researchers going out doing experiments and you have the results
compiled into one summary. (many analyses into one summary)
‣ Meta-analyses typically rely on indicators of effect size, or estimates of the
magnitude of the relationship or effect found in a research investigation.
◦ The case study is a descriptive investigation that involves a one-time assessment of
‣ May provide rich, descriptive information about work behaviors and settings
‣ May be time-consuming however.
‣ i.e.: military personnel needing a highly structured employer/workplace. It is
important that we conduct these case studies in order to place these...
View Full Document