This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full content.
Unformatted text preview: the
DNA determines how our
genes work. How do genes work?
• Each gene contains information for the
manufacturing of a given protein.
• It is through the synthesis of proteins that
genes can affect our behavior. 4 PSYC 2010 (Dr. Escobar) Chapter 3 (part I) - Evolution and genetics Genes or environment?
• Genotype: Traits that an individual inherits
• Phenotype: Traits that an individual
expresses (genes + environment) Chromosomes
• Genes group together in structures called
Humans have 23 pairs
of chromosomes. The
23rd pair determines
-XX = Females
-XY = Males Gene transmission in sexual reproduction
• All cells in th...
View Full Document
This document was uploaded on 02/20/2014 for the course PSYC 2010 at Auburn University.
- Fall '08