This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full content.
Unformatted text preview: May increase size with experience.
• Amygdala = Emotional learning.
• Basal ganglia = Initiation of planned
movement; learning of routines; experience
of reward. 7 PSYC 2010 (Dr. Escobar) Chapter 4 - The brain The cerebral
cortex Let’s divide the brain
• The brain can be divided into 2 hemispheres
and 8 (4x2) lobes. The 2 hemispheres
Right hemisphere Left hemisphere 8 PSYC 2010 (Dr. Escobar) Chapter 4 - The brain Lobes and primary areas Primary motor
cortex What does the rest of the brain do?
• It serves to associate information processed
by the primary areas. Contralateral control
• The right side of the brain “feels” and
“controls” the left side of the body and vice
• We do not really know why, but nerve fibers
“cross” to the other side at the brainstem. 9 PSYC 2010 (Dr. Escobar) Chapter 4 - The brain Consequences of damage to the cortex
• Damage to the cortex = Loss of function.
Which function depends on the area
• Sometimes other areas of the brain take over
the lost function = Some recovery. Bra...
View Full Document
- Fall '08