This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full content.
Unformatted text preview: in plasticity
• Embryonic cells can take any function
depending on their surrounding tissue.
• Critical periods of development.
• Hebbian learning = “Fire together, wire
• Neurogenesis in the adult brain. The divided brain
• Most of our brain structures exist in duplicate (left
• Our two hemispheres are joined by a bundle of
axons (the corpus callosum). 10 PSYC 2010 (Dr. Escobar) Chapter 4 - The brain Symmetries and asymmetries in the brain
• The left and right hemispheres are
symmetrical with respect to their motor and
sensory functions. Lateralization of function
• The two hemispheres function differently
when it comes to certain tasks. Nonverbal,
comprehension R L The split brain
• A treatment for epilepsy was to section the
• No real loss of function after surgery.
• However, some tests suggested that the two
areas of the brain were not communicating. 11 PSYC 2010 (Dr. Escobar) Chapter 4 - The brain How do split-brain patients deal with a divided
• The two hemispheres communicate at levels
other than the co...
View Full Document
- Fall '08