Unformatted text preview: America was having a taste for non-western
music especially cuban music.
● He made his album especially suited for
● He released his album with Columbia Records
allowing for increased popularity.
● His work with Max Roach, Oscar Brown Jr, and
Santana helped to further his albums popularity.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmuFqY8GgU African Drumming & Dance in the US
● In the mid-20th century, 2 central factors
brought African drumming and dance to
(1) Immigration of Caribbean & African drummers (2) Formation of professional African dance troupes African Drumming & Dance in the US
● 1930s: Asadata Dafora Horton was 1st to
perform staged African drumming & dancing
● Late 1930s-40s: Katherine Dunham & Pearl
Primus popularized African dancing
● 1960s: Ladji Camara came to US with jembe
drum style, which became super popular
● J. H. Kwabena Nketia was a Ghanaian
musicologist, followers established
Ghanaian drumming at American
View Full Document
- Spring '08