This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full content.
Unformatted text preview: ng, and behavior.
• Speciﬁc example: neurotransmission in C. elegans is regulated by the
same neurotransmitters and homologous receptors to those in
• In humans, defects in neurotransmitter signaling lead to diverse
disorders including depression and schizophrenia. Drosophila: one of the ﬁrst genetic model
organisms (and by far the best) • 100-year history • Useful characteristics: • Short generation time (10 days)
• Produce a large number of
offspring (hundreds per
female) • Easy to cultivate in the lab Drosophila: one of the ﬁrst
genetic model organisms
• Studies of: • linkage, epistasis, chromosome
behavior, and evolution. • Example: A protein that triggers
eye development in in Drosophila
(Eyeless) has a homolog with a
similar role in humans (Pax6) • Pax6 is mutant in aniridia, a
human eye disease. The mouse: a mammalian
genetic model organism
• Closest evolutionary
relationship to humans.
• Useful characteristics: • Small • Short generation time (21
days) • Proliﬁc (8-10 pups) • Easy to keep in lab The mouse: a mammalian
genetic model o...
View Full Document