This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full content.
Unformatted text preview: , but make better
use of glycolysis to operate in low oxygen conditions. These cells are lighter in color, and are useful for
activities requiring a burst of energy, such as sprinting or weight lifting. “White meat” on a turkey.
• The nervous system controls contraction of muscles through specialized neuromuscular junctions that form
a motor unit.
• Exercise increases the amount of actin and myosin within muscle cells, but does not increase the actual
number of muscle cells.
• Skeletons in the animal kingdom are of several types:
• Hydrostatic skeleton: Earthworms rely on water pressure inside of their bodies to provide support.
• Exoskeletons: non-living material that encase the body of an organism. Found primarily in the
• Endoskeletons: fo...
View Full Document
- Winter '09