This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full content.
Unformatted text preview: usly replaces itself, about 10% per year.
• Bone mass is added if a person is active, and removed if a person becomes inactive. Thus an athlete
has more bone mass than an office worker, and lifetime fitness is the best preventative of osteoporosis.
• Muscles and bones together create movement.
• Muscles are attached to bones by tendons; bones are attached to bones by ligaments.
• Joints in the skeleton allow movement Notes Biology 103
Dr. Karen Bledsoe
http://www.wou.edu/~bledsoek/ • Hinge joints: knee
• Ball and socket joints: femur and pelvis
• Gliding joint: vertebrae, wrist
• Muscles work in antagonistic pairs
• The flexor pulls one bone toward another. The biceps in the arm are flexors.
• The ex...
View Full Document
- Winter '09