This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full content.
Unformatted text preview: onstriction of arteries.
• Proximal tubule: Reabsorbs water, nutrients, salts.
• Loop of Henle: Concentrates urine by osmosis. Salts reabsorbed by the proximal tubule surround the
loop of Henle, causing water to leave the loop by osmosis.
• Distal tubule: Active transport is used to move additional waste from the capillaries into the nephron.
• Kidney problems:
• High blood pressure can damage the kidneys: prolonged exposure to high pressure can cause
permanent damage to the glomerulus.
• If we consume protein in excess of what the body requires, the excess may be metabolized for energy,
or the amine groups may be removed from the amino acids and the remaining carbon chain con...
View Full Document